Travel Diaries | New York City

My latest travel adventure took me to New York City for New Years where I was able to do a bit more sightseeing than the last time I was there (8 years ago). Here's some major highlights from the trip:

1. Getting There
We flew with Porter Airlines from Ottawa which meant connecting through Toronto and landing in Newark, NJ. From there we took the NJ Transit train all the way to Penn Station and walked approx. 10 minutes to our hotel. The train ride from Newark to Manhanttan was about 30 minutes and cost us $13 each.



2. Hotel
We stayed at The Roger which is located in Midtown and was walking distance to the Empire State Building. I absolutely loved this hotel and the location was perfect! The room was small but very cozy. A bonus: staff gave us not one but TWO complimentary bottles of champagne!

The Roger Hotel 

3. Times Square
Busy, packed, bright, crowded....need I say more?



4. Central Park
This was my first time in the park and though we didn't spend too much time there...it's absolutely beautiful! We loved it so much that we opted to watch the fireworks in the park as opposed to watching the ball drop in Times Square. I would highly recommend adding Central Park to your itinerary if you're ever in the city.



5. Brooklyn Bridge
It was incredibly windy but totally worth the view! This bridge is amazing to see in person; a must-see for sure!


6. Grand Central Station
Probably my favourite landmark in New York. It is stunning and majestic but also super busy! Pictures can only do so much to capture its beauty. I was very happy to have been there in person.



7. Empire State Building
I'd highly recommend going late at night (it's open most days until 2am) as the line-ups are shorter and views (in my opinion) are better at night. Having lived in Toronto for a few years, I can without a doubt say that this building is miles better than the CN Tower. 



Overall, despite it being a short trip, you are still able to appreciate the city for its diversity and energy! Can't wait to go back already!

Keep an eye out for my next adventure :)

xx

Unknown

"History develops, art stands still." E.M. Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment